13.01.2024 Content Update Notes

twostars

Sorry, I don't have SS to show. But I came across it this morning. 

I have a gaming computer. However, no matter what settings I activate, there are problems with the effects. For example, when mages use nova, the nova effect does not appear.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Cisco said:

I have a gaming computer. However, no matter what settings I activate, there are problems with the effects. For example, when mages use nova, the nova effect does not appear.

This actually is a change we made on December 22:

You need to increase the Draw limit:
image.png.65a3481cbf811e37336a0d199f4e037f.png

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Cisco said:

The last update also messed up the graphics settings. It's better not to update.

Messed up in what way? Things should be essentially the same. The only default changed this patch was the V-Sync setting.

We swapped things over from DX8->DX9, removing any existing compatibility layers in the process which knowingly caused obvious brokenness.
We added the renderer setting to give more direct support for players with systems that still don't support DX8/DX9 directly (Intel 12th Generation onboard graphics, Arc GPUs).

If you didn't touch anything, the only baseline default that should've changed is the V-Sync setting & that is because it was enforced differently before in DX8, so to avoid confusion with frame rates changing, we defaulted it to off in this patch.

The main things different should be the frame rate (it generally should be higher with no compatibility layers involved, and with faster math code and various optimisations to slow code), and direct compatibility for unsupported systems (rather than it just outright breaking).

The one other thing I can think of that would differ is the GPU used by the game. Previously, this would've been defaulting to your onboard/integrated graphics unless you specifically turned on the "Laptop dGPU fix". Now, it defaults to the dedicated GPU.
But in DX9 this is entirely controlled by your Windows "Graphics settings", so you can go Start -> Graphics settings, and switch it back if you want it to use your onboard/integrated graphics again (in english this is referred to as the "Power saver" setting, but it lists which card is associated with which).

Edit:
I just saw your updates (this took me far too long to reply!). That explains it - the far older draw limit change. :)

We lowered that default from max because it was too much for some peoples' systems. Easier to just default it and have people increase it as their system supported it etc.

I don't really like that setting though. It's silly that it's enforced as an overall limit, regardless of where things are positioned. I will probably be improving that behaviour to just apply to the actual drawing stage, because the memory usage for preparing for that isn't really that big. That way it'll limit after it's sorted, not before, so things up close that matter won't ever be affected by it.

I don't know why it was ever officially implemented this way. It's very silly.

Edited by twostars

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

I got tped aswell yesterday nikos,the macro system with merchants still doesnt work properly.

7 hours ago, Cisco said:

My merchant character was teleported with a macro alert. Drop rate reduced by more than 50%. This is very clear. The last update also messed up the graphics settings. It's better not to update.

The Macro alert system appears only when you stayed in Eslant for an extended time, after you come back to moradon from Eslant you have to relog else you will get the macro alert (during merch). 

• nikos32 changed the title to 13.01.2024 Content Update Notes